The Trouble with Absolutes
If we believe in no absolutes then science doesn't work. I believe a lot of science. I like red shift and blue shift for example. But when we talk about discourse outside the realm of hard science, matters determined by humans, then absolutes are problematic. In simple terms, if you and I see a warm day with clear blue skies and bright sunshine we may have a different opinion of the day. You might say that it's a good day for golf. I might say it's a bad day for sunburn. You might say I'm getting my clubs. I might say I'm getting my SPF 50.
We have differing points of view. Your notion is correct from your point of view. Mine is correct from mine. But can the sunshiny day be both good and bad? Yes, absolutely. This is a type of relativism characteristic of human affairs--the type of affairs that go on in our heads.
We have differing points of view. Your notion is correct from your point of view. Mine is correct from mine. But can the sunshiny day be both good and bad? Yes, absolutely. This is a type of relativism characteristic of human affairs--the type of affairs that go on in our heads.
Labels: absolutes, points of view

1 Comments:
I want to hear more
Post a Comment
<< Home